Are you suffering from insomnia? Here are some suggestions to help you ease into a good night’s sleep.
Top tips to fall asleep.
- Don’t do heavy exercise within two hours of bed time. Light exercise is perfectly fine though.
- Don’t drink any caffeine at least a few hours before bed. Some may need to cease caffeine consumption up to 8 hours before bed.
- Take a Jacuzzi or bath before bed. Add essential oils for an extra dose of doziness.
- Stay away from any type of video screens an hour before bed.
- Read if it tends to relax your mind, which could help you drift off to sleep.
- Try either wearing socks to bed or putting a warm water bottle beneath your feet.
Chronic Insomnia – If nothing seems to help and your insomnia turns into a chronic problem, there could be an underlying medical reason. Check with your primary doctor, who will most likely suggest you seeing a psychologist.
To avoid chronic insomnia, make yourself a list of things you want to do in life and start doing them. Even addressing just one thing on your list can help you get to sleep at night. Keep making progress until you’ve crossed them all off and you may never have sleeping problems again.
You may want to consider trying therapy. A psychologist will help get to the root of your problem. If you try a psychiatrist, you may be prescribed medication in addition to therapy. The medication may help short term, but it’s not going to cure your problem, only therapy can do that.
Try talking to others. Shy and passive people are often the ones who have trouble sleeping. When you talk about your problems to others it helps you see them objectively and release some of your pent-up angst. This alone can help you sleep at night.
~ Michelle Molloy ~